Big and little kids love Caramel Apples that once dipped into creamy caramel are then smothered with M&M’s.There’s something about sweet and sticky caramel coated over a crisp and slightly tart apple that is truly a match made in heaven. These treats are great all year long, but fall seems an especially perfect time for to indulge.
6 small Apples
1 Packet of caramels
2 Tbsp water
6 thick wood skewers or popsicle sticks
Chopped Nuts (optional)
1. Wash and dry apples completely and then remove the stems from it.
2. Set a Popsicle stick into each apple, through the stem hole, being sure to poke them down at least halfway through the fruit.
3. Set M&M's in a bowl and keep aside. OR set finely chopped nuts in a bowl and keep aside.
4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper that has been sprayed with oil (oil side up) .
5. Remove the wrappers from the caramels and then place them in a microwave-safe bowl with the water.
6. Heat caramels and water for two to three minutes, stirring every minute .
7. Once the caramel’s consistency is like chocolate syrup, you’re ready to stop heating it and then dip your apples.
8. Place the bowl of caramel and dip in your apples, holding the sticks and tilting the bowl. Use a spoon to help apple cover with caramel if needed. If the caramel starts to become too thick, just microwave for another 30 seconds and stir.
9. Dip the caramel-coated apple in your M&M 's or nuts (if using). Be sure to do this immediately dipping the apples in the caramel and before they begin to set.
10. Place apples on the oiled wax paper after coated with M&M's.
11. Keep apples in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and serve.
Note: You can also heat the caramels and water on the stove. Just place them in a pot and slowly heat on low.