This flavorful tangy and spicy pickle from Andhra Pradesh (in South India) is so tasty it can be eaten with just plain rice with a spoon of ghee and also with any Indian breakfasts such as dosas , Idli ,Upma etc…
Tomato- 1 Kg
Tamarind- 50 gm
Dry red chilli- 5
Mustard seeds powder – 1 tbsp
Methi seeds Powder – ½ tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 75 gms
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt- 2 tsp
Oil- 100 gms
Garlic- 100 gms
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbsp
Asafetida (Hing)- 1/2 tsp
Chop the tomato into big cubes.
Add salt, tamarind, and let it stand in the bowl for 1 day (in shade).
1) Dry roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds and powder them separately.
2) Grind the tomatoes , 7-8 garlic and the rest of the mixed ingredients (salt ,tamarind) in a blender or grinder.
3) Heat the oil in pan and temper mustard seeds in it.
4) Add garlic , red chillies and saute well.
5) Add the grounded tomato puree, turmeric powder, asafetida to pan and keep cooking on medium flame. Since mixture tends to splatter, cover the pan with a lid. You can cook on low flame and keep stirring once in a while cooking. Cook till oil starts separating from the mixture.
6) Then add red chili powder, Mustard seeds Powder, Methi seeds Powder ,salt if required and let it simmer for about five minutes. Let it cool completely.
7) Preserve the pickle in a dry bottle and place it in a cool dry place.
8) Store it in the refrigerator and it will remain fresh upto 6 -7 months.
9) Serve with idly, rice, dosa ,upma or chapati .