Brinjal /Vaangi/Vankaya/Baingan is a favorite vegetable at my home.We can eat it in any form. I try to make lots of variety dishes using Brinjal.Vaangi bath or brinjal rice is an aromatic rice prepared with chopped brinjals(vaangi) and spice powders. The main secret is the vaangi bath powder in this recipe.Those people who don't like brinjals also will start liking it.
2 cups - Raw rice (cook rice such that each grain is separate, add a tsp of oil to the rice )
4 cups - water (I used ratio 1: 2 Rice : water)
8 - long and elongated Green or purple brinjals (thinly slice into 2 inch pieces and place in salted water)
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
2 tsps - Channa dal
1/2 tsp -Turmeric powder
Few Curry Leaves
2 Green chillies
2-3 tbsps - Roasted groundnuts powder
3 tbsps - Oil
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp hing/inguva/asafoetida
To be roasted and ground to a fine powder (Vaangi Bath Powder )
4 dry red chillis (adjust to your spice level)
1 tsp coriander seeds /Dhaniyalu /Dhaniya
1 tbsp black gram dal (minappappu)
1/2 tsp khus-khus/gasagasalu/poppy seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp bengal gram/channa dal/senaga pappu
1” cinnamon stick (dalchinichakka)
2 tsps Grated Coconut
1) First wash and thinly slice brinjals into 2 inch pieces and soak in salted water .
2) Heat Non stick Pan on medium flame and dry roast the groundnuts for 5 minutes till they turn red. Remove and cool it then grind it to a coarse powder.
3) In a same pan dry roast cumin seeds , clove, cinnamon , for 2 mins. Remove and keep it aside.
4) In the same pan, add a tsp of oil, add channa dal , urad dal ,coriander seeds and red chillies and fry till they turn red for about 2 mins. Add khus-khus /poppy seeds and grated coconut and fry for a minute till the coconut turns slight golden color and turn of the flame. Add hing and stir fry for a few seconds.
5) Cool and grind all the roasted ingredients in a mixer to make a fine Vangi Bhath Powder.
6) In the same pan or big pan, add oil and once its hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the channa dal and once it turns red, add slit chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
7) Add the brinjal pieces, turmeric powder and salt and fry for 25 minutes or till brinjal pieces almost cooked strring in between..
8) Add the grounded vangi bath masala powder , roasted groundnuts powder ,salt and combine well and cook further for another 3 -4mins.
9) Add the cooked rice and mix well .
10) The scrumptious and mild spicy Vaangi Bath is ready to serve. Vaangi bath goes very well with cucumber raitha or onion Raitha ,yogurt ,pickle and papad /aapadam . A one-pot complete meal!!!
This rice can be prepared using other vegetables like carrots, tindora etc.