Posted by ST at Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Thotakura is also known Amaranth, Red Spinach, Laal sag, Rajgira saag, Chuamarsa, Ganhar, Kalgaghasa or Chaulai .Thotakura is the famous leafy vegetable with number of nutrients. Thotakura leaves contain three times more calcium and three times more niacin (vitamin B3) than spinach leaves. Twenty times more calcium and seven times more iron than lettuce.
Amaranth / Thotakura can be prepared in various ways like Dal , Saag, Bhajji ,Chutney .
Thotakura Pachadi (Chutney) Andhra Style is very tasty and delicious dish .It is very easy to prepare.
Thotakura /Amaranth leaves /Rajgira Leaves : 3 small bunches
Coriander Seeds /Dhaniya : 1 tsp
Urad Dal / Bengal gram /Minapappu : 1 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds /Methi Seeds /Mentulu : a pinch
Onion : 1 small
Turmeric : 1/4 tsp
Tamarind : 1/2 lime size soaked
Whole Red Chillies : 5
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tsp
For seasoning :
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Hing : A pinch
Whole Red Chilli : 1
Curry leaves : Few
1) Soak the tamarind in water for few minutes and set aside.
2) Wash and chop the Amaranth leaves and set aside.
3) Peel and chop the onion into small pieces and keep aside.
4) Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add and fry the cumin seeds ,urad dal , coriander seeds,and fenugreek seeds to brown color and keep aside.
5) Now add the red chillies and garlic and fry for few seconds. Take it from the pan and allow it to cool.
6) In same pan add a little oil and add chopped Onions and fry till it becomes golden red. Take it from the pan .
7) Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the chopped amaranth leaves to it and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
8) Grind the roasted spices into fine powder. Then add the soaked tamarind, amaranth leaves, turmeric ,salt and chopped and fried onion to it and grind for a few seconds, if required add little water.
9) Transfer the chutney into a cup and set aside.
10) Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. When the seeds stop tossing, add the red chilli ,curry leaves and hing and fry for a few seconds.
11) Add this seasoning to the chutney and mix well.
12) Thotakura pachadi is ready to serve, serve with hot rice along with ghee.
Instead of red chillies ,green chillies can be used.