Vankaya Pachi Pulusu is a traditional classic Andhra dish. It is made with simple ingredients and very easy to cook.Its very delicious and completely addictive!!!
I like its tanginess and heat of chillies. The sweetness of jaggery balances out the tangy flavor of tamarind and the spice of green chillis. Eating it with hot steamed rice, pappu (cooked tur dal) and vadiyalu is like heaven on earth.
Very Large brinjal / Eggplant`-1 (preferably purple or else white)
Onion -1(finely chopped)
Tamarind -small lemon sized (soak in a cup of warm water for 10 mins extract thick pulp)
Green chillies -2 (finely chopped)
Jaggery - 1 tbsp grated
Water - 2 cups
salt to taste
Coriander leaves - finely chopped
Dry red chilli -1 (optional)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
asafoetida/hing/inguva - 1/4 tsp
- Wash and wipe the Brinjal.First grease the brinjal with oil and roast the brinjal over direct flame for few minutes,turning it often so that it cooks evenly.Or Cook the whole eggplant in microwave for 8 to 10 minutes until it is tender Or Grease the eggplants and broil them in an oven until the skin browns and the inner flesh gets cooked. Be sure to first put the eggplant in an oven safe shallow bowl or a cookie sheet.
- Roast till brinjal blackens,starts peeling off and shrinks.
- Remove from flame sprinkle water and leave aside to cool for 8-10 mins.
- Peel the skin and mash the pulp.
- Place this mashed brinjal pulp in a large bowl,add chopped onions, green chillis,tamarind extract, jaggery and salt. Combine well to form a thick paste. Add water to form a flowing consistency.
- Mix till the jaggery is completely dissolved.Mix well with hand.
- Heat oil a pan, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the red chilli and hing and fry for a second.
- Immediately add to the brinjal-tamarind mixture and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot hot steamed rice, mudda pappu and vadiyaalu or pulagam.
- Gummadi Vadiyalu can be added to this Vankaya Pachipulusu.