PHIRNI is a creamy rice based dessert from north India.It is very easy to make and delicious to eat.
Rice, soaked - 5 tbsps
Milk - 1 litre
Saffron (kesar) - a generous pinch soaked in few drops of milk
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Green cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Pistachios sliced - 10
Almonds Sliced - 1tbsp
1) Wash rice and soaks it for 30 minutes.
2) Drain and grind the rice to a coarse paste and keep it aside.
3) Bring milk to a boil in a heavy bottomed pan.
4) Take few spoons of this hot milk in a bowl, add rice paste and dilute it.
5) Add this to the simmering milk and mix it, stirring continuously.
6) Cook till rice is completely cooked, stirring constantly.
7) Add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well and cook on low flame till sugar is completely dissolved and milk is thickened.
8) Then remove from heat, add saffron and mix well.
9) Pour into Serving bowls and garnish with pistachios and almonds.
10) Chill in a refrigerator for an hour before serving.