Bitter gourd also known as Bitter Melon.As the name implies, this vegetable is a melon that is bitter.Though it is bitter it has tons of nutritional values. It stimulates digestion and is also very good for diabetes people.People who don't like bitter gourd / Karela should try this recipe and I am sure they will start loving it.
8 Bitter gourd /Bitter melon /Kakarakayalu /Karela
2 medium onions,roughly chopped
1 and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder(add according to your spice level)
1 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp (small lemon sized tamarind)
a pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
1) First wash Bitter Gourd, cut into pieces and remove the flesh from inside of bitter gourd using back of a spoon, just be careful and don't remove all, keep the last stab of flesh at the bottom of the piece.
2) Place a steam cooker on the stove. Fill the cooker with quarter water. Add a teaspoon of salt to water. Place the Bitter Gourd and little bit of tamarind in a steamer basket. Cover tightly with lid. Bring the water to boil and steam-cook the bitter gourd to tender. Takes around five minutes. Pay attention and do not overcook the bitter gourd otherwise it would become mushy. Remove the basket and let the bitter gourd cool.
3) Grind onion,red chilli powder,salt,tamarind pulp and turmeric to a coarse paste.
4) Heat 1tbsp oil in a kadai /pan and add the ground paste and fry until the raw smell goes away(approximately 10 mins).Remove the paste and keep it aside.Let it cool.
5) Stuff the steamed bitter gourd with the fried onion mixture.
6) Heat a tsp of oil in the kadai /pan place the stuffed bitter gourd in it and add remaining onion mixture to it and fry on medium high flame for 5-6 mins until it is golden ,turning frequently.Take care not to blacken or burn them.
7) Serve it hot with hot Rice ,Dal /sambar ,yogurt.