Pilaf is a smart way to cook up rice and vegetables together in same pot for a wholesome meal.
This is a Kids Friendly Pilaf.It is easy to cook and tasty to eat.
1 1/2 cups cleaned mushrooms
1 tbsp Olive oil / butter
2 Cups Vegetable broth /Water
1 Cup brown or white rice (Long Grain Rice)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper (or as per taste)
Salt to taste
1) Wash the rice, drain the water and leave it on the sieve for sometime.
2) Grate the Onion in a blender.
3) Finely chop mushrooms and zucchini.
4) In a frying pan over medium heat warm the olive oil.
5) Add onion and cook until translucent about 2 minutes.
6) After that add finely chopped zucchini and mushrooms.
7) Season with pepper and salt and cook ,stirring often , until their moisture has evaporated, 5-7 mins.
8) Transfer the vegetables to a sauce pan, add the broth and rice and stir to mix. Cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed about 15 minutes.
9) Remove the pan from the heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
10) Fluff with fork and Serve hot.
As you child grows older you can liven up this pilaf by stirring in chopped raisins or other tiny pieces of dried fruits ,spices, such as 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1/4 tsp cumin and coriander powder,flaked almonds. Add the stir ins along with the rice.