Avakaya is a very Authentic and traditional pickle from Andhra which my mother passed it to me as a treasure.During the Mango season all are busy making the Mango pickle in different styles from different states.Every summer as a kid, I watched my mom go through the pickle making process.The main ingredients are mangoes and aavalu (powdered mustard) and a combination of other spices used for pickling.Its very simple to make.
3 medium sized raw mangoes (makes 3 cups diced mangoes)
1 cup chili powder
1/4 cup Mustard seeds powder
1 cup salt
2 cups oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/4 cup Fenugreek seeds powder
1 tbsp Turmeric
10 garlic cloves crushed.
1) The most important thing to remember for making avakaya is buying mangoes. They should be very hard when touched and should be of medium size.
2) Wash the mangoes and wipe off the water with a clean cloth or paper towel.
3) Meanwhile we can prepare the mustard powder and fenugreek powder, to make this powders we have dry roast the mustard and fenugreek separately and grind them into fine powders.
4) Cut the mangoes in to pieces and measure.Add this slices into a large bowl.
5) Blend in the Mustard powder ,fengureek powder ,red chilli powder ,salt with the mango pieces, oil and turmeric in a wide bowl. Mix well until all the mango pieces are coated with spices. Later add the crushed garlic .
6) After mixing all ingredients transfer the prepared pickle into a clean and dry air tight jar and let it marniate the pickle for 3 to four day so that the oil and juice comes out of the mango pieces and all spices mixed well with mango pieces..
7) After 3-4 days mix the pickle nicely and taste it and check weather salt is correct or not if u feel its less add some more to it(If salt is not enough the pickle will get spoiled very soon so we should see that the salt is perfect in this pickle).
8) Now store the pickle in a air tight glass jars or proclaim container and store them.
9) This pickle can be preserved for more than a year.
This is reaching State Specials Event started by Shanti.